What is Biomedical Sciences at WVU like?
Graduate education in the Biomedical Sciences at West Virginia University offers you the unique opportunity to explore multiple disciplines and areas of research in the biomedical sciences but to also fast track into a dissertation laboratory and a graduate program within one semester.
The Biomedical Sciences at West Virginia University Health Sciences Center have a long history of excellence in graduate education. Our goal is to give students a strong start and then provide them the resources to achieve their own goals.
- All students have a faculty advisor until they choose their dissertation mentor, so that a system of mentorship is always in place.
- Graduate school begins with a week-long orientation that helps students develop as a team, meet a variety of potential faculty mentors, and develop key skills for success in the first semester curriculum.
- All students use the Individual Development Plan (IDP) to develop and monitor their acquisition of key transferable skills for success The student and advisor revisit the IDP annually.
- Our laboratories are small for personal, one-on-one training. Excellence in mentoring is stressed with all faculty and programs to enhance their skills and improve the advisor/student relationship.
- We support strong core facilities to allow all students access to state-of-the art equipment and expert advice to conduct their experiments and learn new techniques.
- Students in good academic standing are supported in their dissertation laboratory for the duration of their time in graduate school.
- Students take a scientific writing course and are educated in writing grant applications.
- Students are provided multiple opportunities to present their research.
- All students graduate with at least one first author publication.
- All students complete an Experiential Learning course to provide guidance in discerning a career and to better inform their research questions.
Each graduate program sets their own term of admission and application deadline. Applicants can only apply for admission for the term displayed below. Any questions regarding the application deadline should be directed to the graduate program representative.
Fall: December 1